The Buildings of Allesley
A small book about the village of Alleley, in the form of a walk around the Conservation Area. The text is illustrated with pen and ink drawings, mainly by the author.
Buildings of Allesley
Preface to First Edition
Bernard Oakley was interested in the history of Allesley ever since he first came to live in the vil¬lage in 1956. He found the various articles published in the Allesley Parish Magazine by the late Leonard Philpott most informative, and after his retirement he set about combining them into one collection. Realising the interest they might hold for others, he decided to edit the information with the idea of producing a small booklet about the village, in the form of a walk around the Conservation Area. He also photographed the different buildings, then converted the photographs into pen and ink drawings, to complement the text. He had not completed the drawings before his death, and we are grateful to Geoff Hawkins for finishing this work. It was his wish that any proceeds from the sale of the booklet should go to Allesley Church, as the original notes had appeared in the church magazine.