To All Members – We have received this request from the ONS for help. Please look at the websites within the email for more information
Dear Community, Voluntary and Faith Sector Leaders,
I hope you are keeping well in these unprecedented and difficult times.
I am the Census Engagement Manager for Coventry working for the Office for National Statistics (ONS) who are busy preparing for the Census 2021. The Census team in Coventry have been tasked to work with the local Community, Voluntary and Faith Based Organisations to maximise the response rate for the Census and we cannot do it without your support.
What is Census 2021? The next census is taking place on Sunday 21 March 2021. The census is a survey that happens every 10 years and gives us a picture of all the people and households in England and Wales. The Census Act 1920 makes it compulsory for everyone in England and Wales to take part in the census.
Why is the Census important? The Census information is used to:
- Plan and develop local plans to better reflect future needs and to identify inequalities.
- Inform service demand, to identify pockets of health deprivation and to support future funding and care planning.
- Assess local housing needs and to measure housing affordability.
- Pupil forecasting models, to inform capital bids and to monitor the supply of qualified persons.
- Funding bids for road improvements, and informs planning and profiles around areas of transport change.
- Inform emergency services, libraries and waste collection and disposal.
How can you help the Census?
- Hosting online meetings where we introduce the census?
- Invite us to your online or community events? COVID-19 guidelines permitted.
- Advertise www.censusjobs.co.uk through your newsletters or social media?
- Provide space or technology for people wishing to fill in their census form with support?
- Provide a link of the Census 2021 website: www.census.gov.uk on your website.
- Follow Us on Twitter: @Census2021 Facebook: @Census2021 Instagram: @Census2021.
- Circulate digital leaflets to your network of people and services.
- Liaise with and keep the Census Engagement Team informed on your community participation with the Census.
There is an online toolkit with resources that you can use to start creating your own promotion of the census. You can access them at www.census.gov.uk/partners. I am also attaching a presentation to provide you with further information on the Census.
If you would like to discuss any of the above, please do not hesitate to contact me.
I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Anamur Rahman Choudhury
Census Engagement Manager (Coventry)